Okra Gumbo was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tempting the Peers

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 9 10:01:04 PDT 2002

But for the name, I don't see why a Seafood Gumbo wouldn't count as at least conjecturally period.  [Not file' - sassafras is strictly a new world tree.]  A seafood soup/stew with okra to thicken, what's wrong with that?  Okra comes from the Sudan and spread throughout Africa - the non-volunteering African immigrants to the Americas called if "gombo", thus the name of the dish.  The Sudanese/Egyptian dish "Bamia" could pass for a
simple okra gumbo.  Here is the lamb/beef page from the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism with three bamya recipes that sound like Mama Isis' Mighty Rad Gumbo to me!  http://touregypt.net/recipes/recipesbeef.htm

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net