[Sca-cooks] Period Cheeses

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 15:22:07 PDT 2002

Someone asked about my source of a list of possibly period cheeses...

Well, it's something i found on the web, and which has been discussed
on this list as being not quite accurate.
Some of the cheeses are period,
others are period but not of the dates on the list
in the case of some others, the modern cheese is not much like the period one
-- and finally --
some may not be period.

I have included the list below.

Since i don't have access to another more accurate list, i've used
it. It beats the endless bore of not-period bland cheddar and jack
that get served here. (yes, mild cheddar is bland, i prefer sharp,
but many folks don't and besides, it's more expensive than bland,
errr, i mean, mild)

I am aware of some other period cheese which are not on the list, but
the problem is that many of them are imported and too expensive, such
as Manchego, which i had in Spain and thought was not particularly
good, but maybe i just had bad Manchego.

BTW, i asked if Provolone was period and never heard a peep from
anyone... guess no one here knows?

Anahita