[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon roll recipe - Boston Cake

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 08:27:09 PDT 2002

>Okay, someone enlighten this poor, distant South African - what on earth
>are cinnamon rolls?  People on this list keep on mentioning them. They're
>unknown in this part of the world... but they _sound_ delicious.  Recipe,
>anyone?

This is an absolutely wonderful Finnish recipe for cinnamon buns.  This
particular recipe is from _The Best of Finnish Cooking_ by Taimi Previdi,
but the rolls themselves are about as traditional Finnish as you can get.
(Well, modern traditional, anyway.)

I don't know why it's called Boston Cake, and neither do any of the Finns
I've asked, so if anyone on the list knows, please tell me. :)  It comes out
as a cake in the sense that it's all one piece, but was always served in my
family by pulling off a roll, like pull-apart bread.

-Gytha "Sisu!" Karlsdotter

Boston Cake

3/4 C milk
1/2 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
8 TBSP butter, softened
1 envelope dry yeast
1/4 c warm water (110 deg. F)
1 large egg
3 - 3 1/2 C flour

Filling:

2 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Glaze:

1 egg yolk
2 TBSP milk

Icing:

1/2 C powdered sugar
2 tsp water

Heat the milk until small bubbles form on the side of the pan, pour into a
mixing bowl and add the sugar, salt, cardamom and 2 TBSP of the butter. Let
cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water
and add to the milk along with the beaten egg, mix well and add the flour
gradually until you get a sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a board and
knead until it is smooth and elastic, adding a little more flour if
necessary. Add the rest of the softened butter in pieces and knead until the
butter has been absorbed. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen
towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled.

Turn the dough onto a floured board, knead it lightly and cut it in two
pieces. Roll each piece with a rolling pin to a rectangle approx. 1/2 inch
thick and 9x12 inches in size, spread each with half the filling and roll up
lengthwise. Cut each piece into slices about 2 inches thick. Butter a 9 inch
(square or round) cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Stand
the pieces on end in the cake pan, leaving about 1/2 inch between slices to
have room for expansion. Let rise, covered loosely with a plastic wrap, for
45 minutes to an hour.

Preheat oven to 375. For the glaze, mix the egg yolk with the milk and brush
the cake before baking it in the lower level of the oven for about 30
minutes, or until nicely browned.

To make filling: Beat the melted butter with powdered sugar and cinnamon
until it reaches spreading consistency.

To make icing: mix the powdered sugar with about 2 tsp of water, or until it
reaches spreading consistency. Drizzle on baked cake.

Remember: if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
precipitate.