[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Produce (Was Food Myths)

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 25 19:56:52 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Sorry, I missed the original post of this thread and obviously had you
confused with the person in California who was on the list asking what
period vegetables could be grown for market which were not yet planted,
I thought.  I did not recognize that "Ms. Malone" was on the list as a
regular.  Obviously you are offering fruit usually hard to find at a
reasonable
price.   I would like to see what is available.   Can someone repost the
original
offering?
Thanks,
Akim

>The tree I will be getting fruit from this season is a friend's tree which is
very old and has been producing good fruit for >years, however, I do not know
the variety nor does she.
>I would never offer substandard or non-existent produce for sale, Akim.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 7:38:17
Diamond Randall wrote:
>[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
>
>>There may be a taste difference, but I wasn't being
>>scientific enough to discover it.  I would be interested in purchasing
>>quinces from Ms. Malone, so please contact me with price info.  Thanks!
>
>No matter which variety you plant, it takes 8-10 years for a quince to
>reliably
>produce a marketable quantity of fruit, so (unless Ms Malone planted them
some
>years ago) you are going to have a long wait and pricing now will not be very
>useful.  The Japanese shrub also will not produce fruit for many years and
>then
>very unreliably.  Unless you want a lot of decorative hedging, don't bother
>planting
>them for fruit.
>
>Akim

--- Diamond Randall