[Sca-cooks] Drakey's driving.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 30 22:18:42 PDT 2002

Well, my thoughts were very similar to Olwens.
> He even let me take the car (Ford Explorer) for a 50km off-road (gravel
> road) trip.  We drove though open paddocks and stock gates and there
> were 5 day old lambs everywhere still undocked and springing around
> everywhere with youthful vigour.
>
> I was very tempted to let my driving slip and *bump*, opps.  Stop run
> around and throw it in the back, ring Mum on the mobile and get her to
> fire up the weber...  Ooo, baby, 5 day old lamb.  How tender would that
> be???

Yes, with your record, all we would have to do detail some of the
episodes we've heard about and I doubt that either the farmer (rancher?)
or the police would think this was anything other than an accident.

> I've handled hill starts, parallel reverse parking and angle-in parking
> without any problems.

No, your accidents never seem to be the normal, run-of-the-mill kind
of accidents that other people have. How about forgetting to fasten
the parking brake when you stop to pick up the kangaroo roadkill that
you think would make a great leather project after picking up that
1/2 ton of marble slab that you had in mind for some Roman statuary...

>There seems to be others in my life who have
> enough car accidents to remind me to drive safe.

And such reminders helped you in the past, how?

> What should I buy after getting my licence?  I can feel a rash purchase
> coming on...  I'm thinking a V6 family wagon or perhaps a Subaru
> Liberty?  Maybe one of those new Minis.  There is so much choice...

I've noticed that the longer folks are in the SCA, the larger their
vehicles tend to get.

I'm not sure whether to recommend something like a Suburban, 2 ton

truck or hum-vee for you on the idea that they would be less
distructable or to run well out of range *because* you might choose
something like that...
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net