[Sca-cooks] John Barleycorn Menu

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Sep 3 19:56:27 PDT 2002

> I do hope that your head cook is not on this list...
> As I would be a might upset if someone released my menu to an email
> group.  I do hope you have his or her permission.

His Head Cook doesn't do much email, and specificly told him what was on the
menu so he could tell others- including me, since I intend to be helping
him.

> I am also sad that you
> are cooking with someone that you so disrespect or that so does not do
> their work that would cause you to preface your menu... with the period
> oid statement.

What disrespect? While many of us on this List would prefer to cook in a
period manner, choosing perioid is a perfectly legitimate choice, just as
choosing to cook German or Italian, period or not, is. The Cook has chosen a
menu she feels that she can cook comfortably given the facilities. She has
chosen to avoid blatantly OOP ingredients, and that's cool too.

I object to people advertising as period what is something they made up out
of their own heads, but there is no way to object to someone who says what
they intend to make, and then makes it as described. There are any number of
good Cooks in the SCA who don't have our focus on being as period as they
can, and more power to them. Eventually, with luck, they'll learn how to do
period menus, but until they do, I'd much rather see them set out a good
feed that they feel comfortable cooking, than have them turn out a poor feed
because they weren't comfortable doing it. Being able to cook for large
numbers of people, in and of itself, is a notable skill, well worth
respecting.

Phlip