[Sca-cooks] OOP: Shredded noodles

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 5 18:27:27 PDT 2002

Also sprach Vincent Cuenca:
>Here's one for the Chinese experts on the list:
>
>I was watching "Iron Monkey" this morning (I admit it; I have a weakness for
>Yuen Wo Ping's fight choreography), and I saw something interesting.  The
>two main characters were cooking for each other, comparing Cantonese and
>Chekiang techniques.  One character picked up a lump of dough and began
>slicing off thin shreds with a cleaver, slinging them across the room and
>into the water.  No doubt he was showing off a little, but is this an actual
>noodle-making technique in northern China?  I was under the impression that
>most noodles were either doubled and stretched or cut from rolled dough.
>
>Just curious,
>
>Vicente

I know that scene. Wong Kai-ying was a real person, as was Wong
Fei-hung; both are ancestors/relatives of my wife's and genyoo-wine
folk heroes.

The only thing is, I think that type of shredded noodle is not from
the Southern parts of China, where these people come from. That's
more a Northern or a Western China thing. Will look for more details
when I can...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER