[Sca-cooks] Unusual meats... Was Re: Grapefruit & Cats...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Sep 6 09:29:44 PDT 2002

>So, all joking aside. ARE they a white meat?

Yes, Lynx is mostly white meat.  I'd compare the texture of the lynx's loin
to some good veal.  Texture in the legs is a little stiffer, but not all
that bad.

>  DO they taste just like chicken?

No, not at all.  Actually, it's always been somewhat of a problem for me to
say what something tastes like.  It tastes like what it is.  But...  That
said, the food a wild lynx consumes differs wildly (no pun intended) from
what a chicken eats.  Lynx is somewhat gamey in flavours, and despite being
a meat eater, is really a good meat.  Very lean.

>IS there any kind of edible meat that you haven't tried? DARE I ask that?

Yes, plenty.  Missionary being one <g>  But I hear you can't cook them
tender enough...

My list of things I've had shocks the majority of mundane folks i talk
to.  I suspect that those on this list had a chance to taste a few of them,
or others.  But in no particular order:
Lynx, bear, horse, deer, moose, otter, beaver, raccoon, squirel, musk rat,
monkey, aligator, snake, grouse, witchety grub, honey ants, sea urchin, and???

Of course, in my list of "weird" stuff that I'm not including here are
shark, quail, duck, etc, as those are really not all that weird, but still
for some it's icky...  <shrug>

Nicolas Steenhout
Executive Director
LIFE, Inc
17-21 East Travis Street
Savannah, GA  31406
912-920-2414 (V)  912-920-2419 (TTY)  912-920-0007 (Fax)
http://lifecil.com