[Sca-cooks] Re: Help! Fried Ricotta Cheese Balls (lilinah at earthlink.net)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 6 21:07:32 PDT 2002

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>BTW, is "entremet" sort of vaguely kinda a Medieval equivalent for
>"hors d'oeuvre"? cuz "hors d'oeuvre" just sounds too modern...

In medieval parlance, an entremet is a special, pizzazz dish
(possibly, but not necessarily, in the form of a subtlety), served
between larger courses. I guess the idea is that such a dish deserves
one's full attention, without competition. Taillevent recommends
dishes like Pies of Parma (which is the deluxe, multilayered,
meat/cheese/fruit pie, with chopped meat, small birds, etc.), riz
engoule (saffron rice cooked in fatty meat broth), etc., as
entremets. There's a whole section, but of course I don't immediately
see the copy of Taillevent on the nearby shelves...

In modern (or at least more recent) usage, an entremet (still served
"between the meats") is a palate cleanser like a sorbet or a small
salad.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER