[Sca-cooks] Help! Fried Ricotta Cheese Balls

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 8 09:46:36 PDT 2002

I wrote:
>Two are sisters - one made the cazuela moji and the other made the
>persicate. I send a request for help to my cooks for a (bread)
>sponge. Their MOTHER (no SCA affiliation) is going to make me a
>sponge for the cheese balls!!!
SNIP
>So, i can report back on the results of making this with a sponge...

Well, the feast is over. My assistant cooks made wonderful food and
were great help in the kitchen. Duquessa Mistress Mistress Juana
washed LOTS of dishes, besides beautifully slivering at least a pound
of blanched almonds, and chopping walnuts and pistachios for the
baklava to perfection. And Gianetta hung out with me until the last
course, cheerfully doing lots of work.

My servers were cheerful and efficient. Solveig, who hasn't been to
many events lately, since she had a baby 9 months ago, not only
served but dished, and washed a LOT of stuff.. After the feast was
over, there was a Court which i attended and during which another of
my servers, Vivienne, made the kitchen shine, much to my surprise, as
i had not asked her to do it - when i came back into the kitchen, the
counters were glowing and there she was, scrubbing down the huge
grill.

We were blessed by the attendance of His Grace, Duke Cariadoc, who i
hope did not find too much saffron in the feast... This feast was a
Bardic competition, and while he did not compete, he was one of about
5 people who provided additional entertainment. While i rarely went
into the hall, i could here parts of his tales from the kitchen.

One of my dear friends in the Kates, Moshe Avicenal, received a very
very very well deserved Order of the Rose Leaf for his amazing skill
in the bardic arts (he really really is amazing, i mean, he's just
really amazing)

I think the folks in attendance like the food. I got asked to cook
two more feasts, one for my friends in The Kates (the College of St.
Catherine (UC-Berkeley)) next spring, and one for the new Bard of the
Mists for the next competition in one year.

I really need a new pair of feet.

And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for, regarding the
quote from me above...

We were pretty bushed by the time the Dessert Course rolled around,
and Gianetta felt that, what with the Persicate, the Baklava, the
Biscotti, and the Hypocras, we didn't need to make the Toronjas de
Xativa. But i really wanted to make them... However, i discovered
that i had forgotten the flour (aargh!). I still have the sponge and
may experiment with them at home, once my feet recover.

Anahita