[Sca-cooks] Accident Stories

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 9 16:47:27 PDT 2002

At 09:24 AM 9/10/02 +1000, you wrote:
>> I had a great "Harry Potter Scar" for
>> the Quiddich Tourney 6 weeks later.  I've grown out my fringe[bangs]
>> cover the scar but it's beginning to really fade.  Good.
>
>Yeah, I've got one of those too (Yes, I can here the choruses of 'why
>doesn't that surprise us drakey') from diving into shallow end of a
>swimming pool head first when I was 16 in Thailand.  No pain but I
>remember thinking 'Crikey! That pool floor was hard' and a warm
>face/head as I surfaced.  Head wounds do bleed a lot and I freaked the
>others out in the pool from the amount of blood involved...
>
>Although I didn't realise it at the time, I now often think how lucky I
>was...

When I was in middle school, I lived up at Lake Tapps (about 30miles east
of Tacoma) and everybody there swam, all year round, until they drew down
the lake in February (it was the local power resevoir). They filled it back
up in mid May so the water-skiers could play over Memorial Day. It was a
man-made lake, and there were alot of snags and stumps and interesting
things that you could see in the winter when the lake was down. And that
you couldn't see the rest of the year...

Blaze Julum, who was older brother to a classmate (funny, I can remember
his name and not hers) was out swimming with some buds just after they were
filling the lake again. Dove off the end of his dock- and straight into a
snag that normally had much more water over it. He peeled back his scalp
like the lid to a sardine can, from the front hairline to about six inches
back. It was REALLY UGLY. Over a hundred stitches to put it back on, and
lots of antibiotics for a long time (the lake water was not know for
cleanliness). And for ages after (and after then, according to my younger
brothers) one of the first lessons learned in swim class (being that most
everyone lived up at the lake, swim class was mandatory, a semester a year)
was Never Dive in where you can't see, and Never Dive Head-First- put your
arms ahead of you. A 'Blaze Julum Memorial Rule', if you will.

He looked really cool for awhile- all those shaved patches and icky black
stitches in his deep auburn hair- he'd do the Frankenstein's monster walk
and everything...

That was, oh, probably 25 years ago...

'Lainie