[Sca-cooks] Botched Chicken Attempt

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Tue Sep 10 20:46:21 PDT 2002

In a message dated 09/10/2002 8:14:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
vox8 at mindspring.com writes:

> What would be really great is a really tasty chicken pasty type
>  thing. I do not mind labour, I just do not have the brain power to spare
>  right now.

You could try:

Pastes de poucins a la mode Lombarde
Pleyn Delit

In the Lombard manner, when the small chickens are plucked and prepared, take
beaten eggs, both the yolks and the whited, with verjuice and spice poweder,
and dip your chickens in this; and set them in the pasty with strips of
bacon.  Le Menagier de Paris, 159

Chicken Pasties Lombard
4 boned chicken halves
1 egg, beaten
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t ginger
pinch each cinnamon, cloves, cardamom
2-4 slices bacon
pastry, puff or plain

If regular bacon is to be used, cook it partially to take out some of the fat
or use back bacon, which has little fat. Roll out the pastry and divide into
4 equal parts before it is completely rolled out; then try to make each piece
as round as you can before you finish rolling. Mix beaten egg, lemon juice,
and spices; dip the chicen into this mixture. Lady each piece on one side of
a round of pastry with a piece of bacon on top; bring the other half up to
cover and pinch to seal. For a neatly finished effect, press a fork around
the edges to flute. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, depending on size. If you
are using puff pastry, the over should be hotter and then time slightly
shorter.