[Sca-cooks] foods/meats/etc

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 10 23:51:56 PDT 2002

Kirsten asked:
> (also, Superfresh is selling perdue oven stuffer roasters for .69 cents a
> pound)

Perhaps some of the recipes in this file in the FOOD-MEAT section
might be of use to you with this abundance of chicken:

chicken-msg      (155K) 11/21/01    Period and SCA chicken recipes.

> but back to the topic.....
> how do most of you go shopping for feasts?
> where do you go to get your meats and vegetables (in general, i mean)
> where do you get good prices on beef?
> how do you get hold of.. duck, for example...
>
> how far in advance do you shop for feasts?

ohhhh. Someone who asks as many questions as I do. :-)

Here is a scattering of files on some of this:

food-sources-msg  (53K)  3/26/01    Modern sources for unusual medieval meats
                                        and other foods.
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with your local
                                        butcher.
headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
sel-frts-veg-msg  (18K)  6/28/00    Selecting the best fruits and vegetables.

exotic-meats-msg  (75K)  2/18/02    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net