Period cheese casserole (was Re: [Sca-cooks] oop-perioid-recipe cheese pie)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 08:32:12 PDT 2002

On 13 Sep 2002, at 14:44, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >SOPAS A LA LOMBARDA
> >making a layer of sops and another layer of buttery cheese of
> >Parma, or of Aragon, or of Navarra; and so fill all the casserole;
>
> Which cheeses would you suggest using?  It says a buttery cheese.

I'm not sure.  I would go with any mild cheese which has a fairly
high fat content and melts well.

> >that it should be well supplied with said broth, which should be the
> >fattest; and when you put it on the table, do it in such a manner
> >>that they go dry.
> >
> So, this is saying to keep it nice and moist and then, what?, uncover
> it and let it evaporate a bit?, pour off any excess liquid?, any
> suggestions?

The last phrase could also be rendered as "they go [to the table]
dry" or "they are served dry".  I think that when you plate the sops,
you do so with a slotted spoon or spatula, so that the sops are not
sitting in a puddle.

> I am thinking this may be a good one to try out and then perhaps make
> for the 'light lunch' for Crown at Crusades.

Let me know how it goes.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net