[Sca-cooks] British Candy

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 13 13:17:41 PDT 2002

Also sprach Amanda Blackwolf:
>And I didn't realize how much I missed them until my grandparents brought
>them over on a visit a few years ago. I gotta agree w/ maire about the
>Turkish Delight. ICK, YUCK, but my brother LOVES the stuff. Like I said, I
>just have to pop over to Things UK, but finding the time is not easy when
>you are warping two inkle looms and uncovering your banquet tables and
>fetching a pavillion ....... for our annual demo tomorrow. AND bake cheese
>bread for the revel! (shhhhh.....it's a secret)

Ummm. With respect. Forgive my ignorance, but what's the rationale
that Things UK, or for that matter, anywhere either in or catering to
the UK, would sell better Turkish Delight than a Middle Eastern
grocery selling rahat loukhoum? What's this rose-flavored jelly
stuff? (To say nothing of chocolate!)

While I have seen Turkish Delight that has indeed been a sort of
rose-flavored jelly, the best stuff I've seen has been bought by the
pound, cut from a spiralled rope of date-based jelly mixed with
_lots_ of pistachios (the date goo is essentially a substrate),
lightly flavored with rosewater, and rolled in powdered sugar.

Are we talking about a massive, evolved style shift that has become a
separate species from the original?

That's okay, I'm still a persona au gratin with some people for my
views on bangers ;-)

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER