[Sca-cooks] Re: British Food

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 13 14:21:34 PDT 2002

>Ya know, when we were up in Yorkshire (well, York, actually <g>), I
>*looked* for yorkshire pudding, so I could try the real thing, and I
>didn't see a restaurant selling it...;-(
>--maire

Next time, look for a restaurant in York called _The Pines_. It was
there about twelve years ago, just outside the city wall on the side
towards a cluster of modern hotels and such as I recall; I don't know
if it still is. The proprietors obviously were interested in
historical cookery, although a later period than my interests.

Whereby hangs a tale about English cooking.

We were in York with my son, who wanted to try yorkshire pudding, so
ended up going to the Pines and having a good dinner. When we got
back to London, I mentioned to a British acquaintance that we had
found a restaurant in York that served good English food. He named it.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/