OOP Re: [Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Sat Sep 14 09:30:47 PDT 2002

At 11:10 AM 9/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Beatrix of Tanet wrote:
>
>>This is also where we hang the knife scabbard, which holds around three
>>knives and a meat hook.
>
>Does anyone have a source for such knife scabbards?  I'm thinking
specifically of Japanese hibachi-style cooks'
>scabbards.  Or as I like to call them, the whackity-whackity-ping-ping
places.  (No disrespect intended, but that phrase
>accompanied by appropriate hand gestures conveys the idea to people who
don't know what 'hibachi' means).

>Iyad
>Glad to be back on the list

    The actual term is "tappan", as they are NOT hibachi.  Traditionally a
Hibachi was a brazier used for warmth not for cooking.  There is a style of
cooking called "Hibachi" today, but it is closer to barbecue than these
Tappan places.

Ranald,
Ron Carnegie
r.carnegie at verizon.net
	"The poetry of history lies in the quasi-miraculous fact that
	 once on this earth, on this familiar spot of ground walked
	 other men and women as actual as we are today, thinking
	 their own thoughts, swayed by their own passions but now
	 all gone, vanishing after another, gone as utterly as we
	 ourselves shall be gone like ghosts at cockcrow."
				G.M. Trevelyan