[Sca-cooks] Re: food myths (Turkey)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 18 14:12:42 PDT 2002

> We're also back to the "within our period of study" thing. Yes, that
> book is... by 4 years... say, a decade or so for the food to be
> familiar, the recipe to be developed, and the book to be written and
> printed. A decade or so out of the  centuries we study.

Depends. If Dawson and Markham both give a recipe, it was familiar in
England (which, let's face it, was a bit of a backwater) by the 1590s.

Brighid, I believe, can give us earlier Spanish recipes.

If something is a Hot New Thing in Britain in period, there's generally
some other place where it was done first. :)

>  From what I've seen, if someone was doing a real themed feast, the
> issue wouldn't even come up.

Why not? Depends on the theme. If the theme was 16th century English or
Spanish, it might well come up.

If the theme was 'foods you didn't know were period' or 'New World Foods
we have recipes for', that could be another theme...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."