[Sca-cooks] Nervous Cooks

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 15:37:06 PDT 2002

Hi, Generys:

I've only been in the SCA about 3-1/3 years. I cooked my first feast
after about 1-1/2 years, and i'd only assisted at one feast, the same
one the year before. Now I cooked 4 feasts in the past 9 months and
will cook another (a small intimate one) next month.

First: Be sure to print out *at least* 2 copies of all the recipes
you're cooking on site, one for your cooks and one for you to keep
for reference. Although i've never used them, those plastic slip
covers with the 3-hole punched edge will help keep them clean.

Second: Be sure to work out a truly reasonable schedule based on the
cooking time of large amounts of food (it all cooks faster in small
quantities) and the actual available cooking equipment. Where i've
cooked 3 feasts, the big industrial stove has 4 burners, but in
reality one can only fit 2 big industrial sized pots on them, since
they're too close together, so i don't plan to have 4 pots simmering
away up there. There are two ovens, but they are different sizes, so
baked goods always end up in uneven shifts. And the ovens run about
50 degrees F. cooler than the dial says so...

Third: If you're using ovens, bring separate stand alone thermometers
to put in *each* one. Turn the ovens on well in advance and see if
they actually heat to the correct temperature. If not, adjust as
needed to get the right temperature. I had no trouble, cuz i knew the
ovens weren't trustworthy, but a previous cook had a rather late
course because he didn't realize that one oven was running 50 degrees
cold...

Fourth: That schedule you worked out... print up 2 or 3 copies. Keep
one so you can follow what's going on. Post one so your helpers can
double check on their own.

Fifth: Wear comfy shoes. Wear really really really comfy shoes. Don't
worry about "periodicity". When you're on your feet from 6 AM loading
the car to almost midnight cleaning up the kitchen, you need to take
care of your feet.

Sixth: Drink plenty of water. You're usually cooking in a warm or
even hot room. You may be stressed (even if you don't know it) (and
stress makes folks perspire). Etc. So, hydrate yourself.

Seventh: No matter how carefully you plan, or much stuff you bring,
something unexpected is bound to happen. Maybe you need something you
don't have or you forgot to bring. I forgot the flour at my last
feast and couldn't make the fried cheese balls. At a previous feast,
all the apples got put in the apple mus and there weren't any left
for the sauce in the last course.

Stuff happens. Be calm. Solve the problem one way or another. And
remember, there's plenty of food.

If one dish doesn't make it out, it's ok. If a course goes out 1/2
hour late, well, that happens often.

Your goal isn't perfection, but to make a delicious meal that makes
folks happy.

Best wishes,
Anahita