[Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 20 22:37:44 PDT 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> *sigh* I live alone. I hate pot-lucks. They are too expensive. By the time
> I'm done getting the supplies for a pot-luck, I could have gone out and
> gotten an expensive dinner.
>
> Ok, so short of a 12-step group (Hi, I'm Jadwiga, and I'm addicted to
> feeding people...) what can you all suggest to come up with a potluck
> contribution that won't be embarrassing but won't break my non-existent
> budget?

Jadwiga, I think your problem is less the expense of a dish that
would work quite fine, but as you allude to in the second paragraph
above, a wish to feed everyone in a generous way. I suspect that
there are really two different concerns here.

However, for the first, I'd like to see more easy, cheap pot luck

ideas that I can add to my files for those folks new to period cooking.
And yes, I would like them to be period, or at least not blatantly
post period.

I do have this file, but it is still somewhat small:
easy-p-recip-msg   (7K) 11/29/01    Some easy period recipes. Ideal for new
                                        cooks or for cooks new to period
cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/easy-p-recip-msg.html

(And yes, Jadwiga, I know you probably don't need easy recipes, but
some of these might be inexpensive due to their simplicity. And I
still want recipes for this file).

And there is this one:
Cheap-Apicius-art (13K)  9/28/98    "Apicius for the Impoverished" by Margali.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/pot-luck-fsts-msg.html

And if you find yourself organising a pot luck, maybe you can use

some of the ideas in this file, so that the usual problem of long
lines with the first third getting plenty of everything, the second
third getting a fair amount of most food and the last third getting
some good food, but mostly the less wanted items.

pot-luck-fsts-msg (20K)  7/16/02    Handling 'pot luck' feasts in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/pot-luck-fsts-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net