[Sca-cooks] Was Porkfat now Bacon question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Sep 22 11:01:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach Wanda Pease:
><snip Maire's post>
>
>  Please note (I shoulda mentioned this before) that
>I am talking about *American*, fatty bacon, and not the lovely rashers
>you can find in Canada and the UK....

You can get it in the US, also; it's just not as common.

>Question:  What do the Canadian's, and English for that matter, do with the
>part of the pig that American's make our style bacon out of?  The pigs we
>grow are pretty much the same breeds so I'm assuming that they have the
>fatty/streaky part too.  So what do they do with it since they don't make
>American style bacon with it?

The belly/side is used for sausages, probably for various
industrial/canning purposes where the rendered fat can be removed
from cooked meat, and very possibly, bacon to be sold outside the UK,
not only in the US, but also in Germany, and elsewhere, where streaky
bacon is (I gather) the norm. They also sell cured, smoked pork loin,
which is pretty much indistinguishable from the back bacon of the UK,
when sliced thinly.

>Regina Romsey
>p.s. I used to supply my English neighbor with American bacon when we were
>in Germany.  That for him and his wife, and Froot Loops for his kids.

I'm surprised. All the German butchers I know sell slab, belly bacon,
rind-on, to be cubed or cooked whole in soups and stews, or sliced
and used pretty much like American bacon. Is this not the case in
Germany? Or is there perhaps some kind of World-War-II-era food
prejudice thing going on?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER