[Sca-cooks] Was Porkfat now Bacon question

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun Sep 22 18:38:22 PDT 2002

My neighbor was actually English (!) and his wife was German, but worked for
an American firm, Cummins Diesel.  For some reason they loved the pre-sliced
hickory smoked, or maple flavored American Bacon.  The smoking technique may
have been the thing that they couldn't get in the Frankfurt/Darmstadt area.
I didn't shop in the German meat markets too often since meat was way less
expensive in the Commissary.  I always bought Bratwurst, Rindwurst, etc.
from the local meat markets, or tried them hot from local vendors.  Every
town had a different flavor to the mix.  Heck with wine, I tried to become a
wurst expert; "Ah, yes!  A fine white sausage with a hint of playfulness.
Nierstein autumn.  Probably a November grinding".  :-)

Regina Romsey

I'm surprised. All the German butchers I know sell slab, belly bacon,
rind-on, to be cubed or cooked whole in soups and stews, or sliced
and used pretty much like American bacon. Is this not the case in
Germany? Or is there perhaps some kind of World-War-II-era food
prejudice thing going on?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER