[Sca-cooks] Armored turnips

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Sep 22 17:43:39 PDT 2002

>  When I made this back in March of this year, I used cheddar cheese and
>grated parmesan (the kind in the round can). I boiled the turnips, then
>peeled and sliced them. For spices I used slight amounts of cinnamon,
>pepper and ginger, modern palates being what they are, and I added onion
>powder. I know you food purists out there will probably cringe at the
>addition of it, but it helped add some flavor to it, and in a savory way,
>not sweet.

To each their own, but:
I've found that people do not experience a number of different spices as
'sweet' that were used in period. Certainly, neither pepper nor ginger are
'sweet' to modern tastes when used in a savory dish. Mace and fresh-grated
nutmeg are also not experienced as 'sweet'.

If you use the proper amount (not loads, but well-sprinkled) of the period
spices for in the dish, you don't have to do anything to add taste, 'cos
the spices give it enough zing. If you are afraid to use cinnamon, or even
ginger because your audience might object to the 'sweet spices', use a
different spice!

BTW, why did you use ground parmesan in place of the sliced cheese in the
recipe?

That said, I am vague remembering an onion and cheesy thing that I think I
read about in a period recipe... ring any bells for anyone?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."