[Sca-cooks] Re: Scullery

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 23 09:33:38 PDT 2002

> Olwen wrote:
> Over the
> years I've bumped into many, many folks who were very clear about "I'm not
> gonna do dishes", or "I'm too good to peel the potatoes".

Somebody needs a spanking, badly.  I headed the last full-service Twelfth Night in Caid;  I'm playing scullery maid for the coming one.  Come to think of it, the Queen and several Knights pitched in last time and mopped floors when we were through.  Nobody is "too good" to clean up after.  Harrumph.

My plan is to circle throughout prep time, vulture-like, and keep up with cleaning dishes and utensils as they are used.  Theoretically, by suppertime, all we will have to wash will be the final pots and serving dishes.  It works at home, when I don't want to face a tremendous pile of washing-up after dinner.

Jared, this year's Head Feast Cook, has already booked our household "ook" [Lord Jonathan, whose AoA was given this year for his helpfulness in the area of fetching and carrying] to captain the mighty cleanup team.  We are already advising him to book twice as many personnel as he thinks he will need, on the theory that half of them will flake out, each believing that he is the only one flaking out and won't be missed.  :-/  Been there, done that, found Queen B. mopping floors, bless her heart.

Selene Colfox