Recipe? (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Pork fat)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 23 12:55:00 PDT 2002

>     It's chunks of bacon that aren't good enough to be packaged prettily.
> They're just stuffed in a box, generally 3 pounds, and sold for a little
> over a dollar a pound. If you're using it to cook with as opposed to serving
> it up by itself, it's a wonderful budget stretcher. Just bear in mind that
> you generally find a lot of chunks in there, and they need to be trimmed
> down. You can find it at WallyWorld all the time, as well as most
> not-too-upscale grocery stores.

I've been using it in period recipes that call for fat bacon. If someone
has been cooking with something nearer to period fat bacon and feels that
it really majorly changes the taste of the finished product, please tell
me! I may not change my habits but I think I'd like to know!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."