[Sca-cooks] first feast / Absolutely incredible weekend - long!

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 24 08:55:32 PDT 2002

On 24 Sep 2002, at 8:55, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Speaking of cooking large amounts of rice and grains....in my on-going
> perusal of the Andalusian cookbook from His Grace's site, I actually
> found a recipe (I can dig it out of my notes later, if anyone wants)
> that specifically mentions cooking rice (I think, or it may have been
> one of the frumenty cousins) in an oven. --Maire, who should be at
> work instead of playing on the computer ;-P

Rice in the oven works very nicely.  I'm planning to make Nola's
"cazuela de arroz en el horno" (casserole of rice in the oven).  One
part rice, two parts boiling-hot water mixed with olive oil, and
appropriate amounts of salt and saffron.  Place in a tightly-covered
container, and bake at 350-375 F for about 45 minutes.  I did a test
batch using 6 cups of raw rice in a disposable lasagna pan.  It
came out fine, and needed only to be fluffed with a fork.  You'd
want to use shallow containers for the best results.  I'd imagine
that a couple of industrial-size roasting pans would work well.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net