[Sca-cooks] Generys' Feast/Rolls and butter

Wed Sep 25 06:55:39 PDT 2002

It is probably a condiment.  Most of the modern Moorish breads don't seem to
use fat in the making and the addition of fat to bread dough appears to be
something that is retained after it occurs.  And as with most of the
European sources, it is hard to tell how wide-spread the use of butter as a
condiment was.

Interestingly, butter mixed with barley flour appears to have been a common
condiment for bread in Ireland (not necessarily surprising given the cattle
based economy and the fact the Irish still produce a prodigious quantity of
butter and turn a nice profit smuggling it into Northern Ireland, unless the
recent EU unification has put a crimp in the trade).

Bear