[Sca-cooks] Generys' Feast/Rolls and butter

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Wed Sep 25 07:58:17 PDT 2002

The use of butter apparently varied greatly from place to place.

The following notes were taken from the Florilegium - there's an awful
lot more.
[ http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/butter-msg.html ]

-=-=-

 From the 13th-century Arabo-Andalusian "Manuscrito Anonimo", a chapter
entitled "The Customs that Many People Follow in Their Countries":
... Many people eat butter, and add it to bread, while others
cannot bear to smell it, much less to eat it....

-=-=-

"I just read this a couple of weeks ago. I believe it was part of an
Englishman's
account of life in a Heugenot village in southern England, and it makes
a reference to certain alien habits of the folk of the village: among
them was the habit of giving the children bread smeared thickly with raw
butter in the Flemish fashion."  (Adamantius)

-=-=-

Period serving manuals indicate that tables were set with large amounts
of bread completely apart from trenchers, and that bread was always on
the table with cheese and fruit before the first course arrived. This
would tend to go against your contention. There are recipes for sops,
but they are not all that common; and while it is highly probable that
bread was dipped in other broths and sauces, we have no evidence
that it was *only* used so, and considerable reason to doubt it. On
the other hand, the same serving manuals make no mention of putting
butter on the table (or olive oil); which suggests that neither was it
spread with substances of that kind, at least much of the time.

-=-=-

There are at least six recipes for almond butter extant from the 14th
and
15th centuries in England. However, there is no evidence that it was
used
as a spread. It seems to have been served sliced as a dish.