[Sca-cooks] Kidney stones (was Re: Cooking Cats) - OOP

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Fri Sep 27 07:33:05 PDT 2002

On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 04:42 AM, Avraham haRofeh wrote:

>> Read the book, used to be a believer.  Cut out meats almost
>> completely,
>> cut way down on dairy, stopped drinking coke, drank weak iced tea and
>> fruit juice instead, ate lots of leafy greens.
>>
>> Got kidney stones.
>>
>> Red the latest research.  Started drinking coke again, stopped
>> drinking
>> tea or juice, started eating more meat and dairy, cut way down on
>> leafy
>> greens, try to drink a beer every now and then.
>>
>> No more kidney stones.  Healthy diet?  Go figure.
>
> Too much oxalate in your leafy greens, not enough nitrogen in a
> low-meat
> diet, not enough acid... leads to calcium oxalate stones. You could
> cut down
> on the coke - the phosphoric acid is really bad for your teeth, not to
> mention the sugar.

Several recent studies have shown that a diet *high* in natural calcium
reduces risk of stone formation - they think it binds with the oxalate
in the digestive system and keeps it from entering the bloodstream.

A study on beverage consumption and recurrence of kidney stones found
that fruit juices and teas increased recurrence, water seemed to reduce
recurrence slightly, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages caused a
moderate decrease in recurrence (probably due to the diuretic effect),
and that beer caused a *cumulative* 40% decrease in recurrence of
kidney stones for every bottle consumed per day.

It was when I had cut down on the coke and started drinking iced tea
and fruit juices when I got the stones in the first place.  Started
getting more cavities too.  Coke and beer are good for you - even mixed.

- Doc