[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Book on cacao

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 27 08:18:02 PDT 2002

Regarding the books on Chocolate or Cacao-

The earliest Spanish is 1631 not 1667.

Actually there's a 1999 reprint:

Curioso trattato sulla natura e qualità del cioccolato /
Antonio Colmenero de Ledesma;  Elisabetta Paltrinieri
 Alessandria : Edizioni dell'Orso,  1999.
Language: Italian; Italian With facing Spanish text.
Series: Biblioteca mediterranea.; Testi ;; 2;
Standard No: ISBN: 8876943730;
The current pricing is 15.49 euros from an Italian
dealer.
I don't know what edition they have reproduced.
 I can't tell from the cat. records provided by either RLIN
 or OCLC or the Italian sources.

Harvard has a photocopy of the 1631 Spanish original.
It's probably taken from this --
Curioso tratado de la naturaleza y calidad del chocolate
dividido en quatro puntos ... /
Antonio Colmenero de Ledesma.1631 Spanish

This is available as a microfiche from: Printed
 on 11 double leaves./ Title on header: Tratado
naturaleza y calidad chocolate./ Reproduction:
Microfiche./ Madrid, Spain :/ Servicio de Microfilm
 de Archivos Estateles,/ [197-?]./ 1 microfiche.
It's also available as a microfilm as part of
European Register of Microform Masters (Master microform) from
British Library Call No.: Neg: PB.Mic.39507

 Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
(It's not the secret reference librarian tools.
It's the knowing how to use them. Or there
are reference librarians and then there are
really outstanding REFERENCE LIBRARIANS.)

Louise Smithson wrote:
> But can someone find the original spanish which would
> be earlier?
> Colmenero Ledesma, Antonio.  On chocolate.  Varied
> discussion in four parts. clipped
 Rome: Printed by the R.C.A.