[Sca-cooks] Pickle question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 30 22:42:08 PDT 2002

Elizabeth asked:
>     I am in the process of trying to understand pickling, after seeing a
> pickling episode on Alton Brown's 'Good Eats'.  The Fannie Farmer
> cookbook I have says that you can freeze pickles.   Mr. Brown said the
> pickle needs to sit in a fridge to allow everything to mix.
>
>    These are my questions--any opinions on what freezing does to the
> taste? (and)  Am I correct in assuming you refrigerate the pickle for a
> little while before you freeze it?
I'm not sure why you wish to freeze it, or even refrigerate it. Most

likely freezing it will change the texture. And since pickling is a
preservative method, I'm not sure why you need to pickle and do either
of these other two, espcially if the item is unopened.
When you say "The Fannie Farmer cookbook I have says that you can freeze
pickles.", do you mean freeze any pickled food? Or specifically
pickled cucumbers, often thought of by many Americans as the only
thing pickled. (Hey, I did before I joined this list)

Anyway for some more info on pickling, see these files in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium:
compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.
pickled-food-msg (116K)  5/ 7/02    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

And this one in the FOOD-MEATS section:

pickled-meats-msg (58K) 10/11/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net