[Sca-cooks] Italian Renaissance dining and manners

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Apr 9 08:24:48 PDT 2003

I'm looking for sources for Italian Renaissance (specifically,
Florentine in the second half of the 16th century, but not so fussy
about that) dining and manners.

I've found a couple of cookbooks - Platina, Scappi - and a couple of
other books about food mentioned in the Florilegium
(http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Italy-msg.html)

I was wondering if anyone had any leads on information about *how* food
was eaten, in terms of how it was served, the order of dishes, the roles
of various servants, etc.  I'm also interested in books on manners of
the period.  Castiglione of course springs to mind, but that's *very*
general.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them immensely.  I
would of course prefer English translations, but I won't discount those
that are in Italian.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/