[Sca-cooks] That tile project....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 22:20:54 PST 2003

Olwen said:
> Stefan, I will be happy to help with this project if you keep reminding me
> that I said this.

Oh, oh. I can't believe you left an opening like this...that could be
arranged. Isn't there someone who is always asking folks to take pictures...

> Seriously though, I can check with Master Chirhart that
> he does not have my time more tied up than I am currently aware of, and if
> he says it's ok and you say it's ok, well, then I suppose I could be of some
> help.

How about a marzipan tile?
And yes, this is not meant to be Stefan's project. I can't do it alone. I'd
appreciate whatever time you can give. I would like to have folks in
individual kingdoms helping to drum up support. I need folks willing to work
on this both before and at the various events. Serena da Riva has already made
a good start on a nice webpage for this.

One thing I would like to do is to get some folks to do some tiles in the near
  future and send me (or Serena) pictures (oh, that picture thing again) so we
can put them on the website. Perhaps these will give folks some ideas and
convince them that they could also so something. I think a marzipan or
sugarplate tile would be nice for this.

Oh yes, I've been invited today to do this display at the Knowne World A&S
Collegium in Atenveldt in September. A three event tour! I am hoping to make
Lilies War as well as my usual trip to Pennsic. I don't know if I will be able
to make the Collegium event as well but I don't have to be present for a tile
display to go on there.

> What say that a book with each individual tile pictured on one page and on
> the facing page a description of the tile, who did it, where from, what
> medium, etc.?  The book could correspond with the layout of the tiles so
> identification would be easier.

That is a bit bigger project than I had in mind. That would be a lot to get
printed and photocopied at these events to hand out the next day. And probably
a bit expensive. I had been thinking more of a some pages with a single entry
on each line giving the tile coordinates, the entrants name and what the tile
was made of. Of course after the first event, it would be possible to have
pictures of the tiles displayed on a webpage. Maybe even a set of photos with
one tile per photo. A paper book could be done and mailed out after the event,
but I don't know how big a demand there would be for this.

Of course, if folks volunteer to handle various aspects of this project like
such a book, I will probably let them run with it.

> Have you thought about making up an entrants form?  That way you would get
> all the requested information in the same order, thus easier to read.
Yes, getting folks to fill in a line on the entrants form when they bring by their tile(s) as I mentioned earlier.

The list would also have the tile position on that line, so as you signed in
that would give you your tile(s) positions.
I have also considered doing some kind of pre-registration, but the tile
position assignment would have to wait until the events, just in case the
particular tiles didn't show up. Some kind of pre-registration would also give
some reassurance of how many tiles there might be. Right now, I have no idea
whether we will get ten tiles or a hundred tiles or a thousand (rather
unlikely). A hundred fills less than 7 ft by 7 ft. We couldn't do a thousand
entries in the Pennsic barn. :-)

My idea is before the event to take masking tape and tape off a series of grid lines,horizontally and vertically across a smooth surface (the Pennsic barn floor?) and to label the ends of each line with numbers down one direction and letters down the other.

Then having been give a number you can place your tile on that coordinate or
hand it to the volunteers behind the ropes to place.

I was thinking of one large square. But maybe several smaller squares or a
long rectangle would be better so folks could move closer to the tiles to look
at them. Comments? I still think I will need some ropes (anyone going to have
access to some spare list field ropes?) to keep folks from walking over the
tiles or crowding too close. Maybe that's not needed, though.

Stefan

(Okay now Olwen, and everyone else, what type of tiles are *you* thinking of
doing. Only one *marzipan* tile, Olwen. :-) )
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com