[Sca-cooks] I need help in how to use antique mold

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 5 22:18:10 PST 2003

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Thank you to all who have advised me on this!
>
> Selene, I will bring the mold to Crown.  It will
> be fun to do this with you!  Yes, bring the
> marzipan.  I will bring Pam and several cubes of
> butter.  Should I bring food dye so we can have
> some colored flowers also?  Or would that be too
> hazardous to our costumes?

I'm not sure I want to risk it.  I have invested in some
food coloring markers but you need a really hard
surface, like dry royal icing, for them to mark properly.

> Does anyone have a good recipe for sugar paste?

Wilton has a mix for everything.  I have a "gum paste"
mix of theirs whose main ingredient is some kind of
alginate, the same stuff we've been using for making
custom latex molds for custom make-up appliances...
eeeek!

> For those who enquired, no, the mold doesn't have
> any tunnels for pouring liquid into the mold and
> there are no visible indications that there were
> clips to hold the two parts together.  The mold
> is made out of very solid iron and is very heavy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huette

I've been shopping at a store called
CAKE CREATIONS in Canoga Park lately.
They carry candy molds as well, mostly for
chocolate-melt type things but a few for hot
sugar syrup for hard candies and lollipops.
There was one choccy mold for Pansies - need one?
[Minds - out of gutters - NOW!]

Selene Sue