[Sca-cooks] Challenge of the Heart Feast

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 06:03:45 PDT 2003

From: "Hank" <steinfeld at tqci.net>
>The theme is middle eastern and is to celebrate a temporary
>truce between the crusaders and the local Islamic power.

>The menu is as follows:
>2nd course:
>Charoset

Charoset is a Jewish ritual food, served only at Pesach/Passover
dinner as one of the required symbolic foods, along with the bitter
herbs, lamb shank, boiled egg, spring greens, etc Pesach is probably
the second holiest major Jewish holy day, after Yom Kippur. Charoset
is not eaten alone, but with the bitter herbs, and it isn't generally
served at other times of the year, only within the context of the
Passover dinner.

Charoset doesn't seem like a food likely to be served at a meal
between Christian Crusaders and local Muslims...

>3rd course:
>Koogle

To the best of my knowledge, kugel is a Anshkenazi Jewish dish - the
Ashkenazim are/were primarily from Eastern Europe. And while there
are a number of "period" pasta and cheese dishes - most kugels i've
had were noodles and cottage cheese (and some other stuff, like dried
fruit) - i am doubtful that the versions i've had were "period"...

Anahita