[Sca-cooks] Challenge of the Heart Feast

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Apr 7 06:51:44 PDT 2003

I knew I shouldn't have skimmed that message...

> From: "Hank" <steinfeld at tqci.net>
> >The theme is middle eastern and is to celebrate a temporary
> >truce between the crusaders and the local Islamic power.
>
> >The menu is as follows:
> >2nd course:
> >Charoset
>
> Charoset is a Jewish ritual food, served only at Pesach/Passover
> dinner as one of the required symbolic foods, along with the bitter
> herbs, lamb shank, boiled egg, spring greens, etc Pesach is probably
> the second holiest major Jewish holy day, after Yom Kippur. Charoset
> is not eaten alone, but with the bitter herbs, and it isn't generally
> served at other times of the year, only within the context of the
> Passover dinner.
>
> Charoset doesn't seem like a food likely to be served at a meal
> between Christian Crusaders and local Muslims...
>
> >3rd course:
> >Koogle
>
> To the best of my knowledge, kugel is a Anshkenazi Jewish dish - the
> Ashkenazim are/were primarily from Eastern Europe. And while there
> are a number of "period" pasta and cheese dishes - most kugels i've
> had were noodles and cottage cheese (and some other stuff, like dried
> fruit) - i am doubtful that the versions i've had were "period"...
>
> Anahita

What she said. Additionally, the Crusaders would be highly unlikely to
have willingly partaken of something known to be Jewish, given the
sentiments of the time about Jews.

The word 'kugel' is Yiddish, and means a pudding (noodle, potato,
etc.) so for Crusaders it's really OOP (aside from the initial problem of
it being Jewish to start with).

Margaret