[Sca-cooks] Challenge of the Heart Feast

Hank steinfeld at tqci.net
Tue Apr 8 20:56:14 PDT 2003

My congratulations for all noting that there are several decidedly Jewish
elements to this meal.  Now the explanation:
The cook, yours truly, is a captured Jewish merchant with training in
cooking.  The one who took me, is Islamic and the one in charge of the
warrior forces in the area.  The crusaders have asked for a truce as part of
a desire to observe Easter.  A quick look at the calendar will show that
Passover is also at this time.  The cook frankly can't stand either of the
them, crusader or Muslim, but since my life depends on doing the job well, I
have made several editorial comments as part of the feast.  Look at the menu
and you will find the lamb in the first course stew, herbs throughout and
flat bread made in a way that is compatible with Passover.  Each dish is
uniquely kosher, yet the combinations are not.  There is no pork.  The
charosets is a reminder of the burden of captivity, and I am reflecting this
in my feast.

The critical comments are welcome, and show a discerning eye, but it was no
accident.  The flavours picked are decidedly middle eastern and balanced.
The kugel, while possibly OOP is the very last dessert in the last course
and occurs shortly before the company must return to the modern world.
Again, there are no accidents.

The recipes are from period Islamic sources and I was aided by the support
of the Forigium, (thanks Stefan).

Yours in Service
Muirghen AKA Hannech ben Yussel, ha Cohen (English does not do the Hebrew
good)