[Sca-cooks] Can coffee urns be used for cooking?

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 11:21:50 PDT 2003

Daniel Myers wrote:
> While insulated drink coolers would be useful for keeping sauces/soups
> warm, I also want the ability to cook the sauce/soup without taking up
> priceless stove burners.

Unless you're really tight on space and outdoors isn't an option, beg,
borrow, or steal a Coleman camp stove or a caterer's portable gas burner.  I
really don't think a coffee urn would work very well for cooking most soups
or sauces due to the variability of temperature (both from the heating
element's imprecision and the uneven heat conductivity of the urn itself).

Option 2 would be to make some of them ahead of time and reheat on site.
Most soups are better 1-2 days after cooking anyway, and many sauces also
benefit from a bit of aging in the fridge.

Good luck!

-Lorenz