[Sca-cooks] Seeking Period Chinese Cuisine

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Wed Apr 9 18:44:00 PDT 2003

>Teresa Wang and E.N. Anderson, Ni Tsan and His 'Cloud Forest Hall
>Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating', Petits Propos
>Culinaires #60, 1998. See also Some remarks about the translation of
>Yun Lintang Yinshi Zhidu Ji published in PPC 60 by Francoise Sabban,
>which has corrections and alternative translations.

I'll back Cariadoc up on that.  It's a great little source (but you really do
need both PPC 60 and PPC61).  There are some great little recipes there and
I've redacted enough to put together a feast plan (just haven't had time to
implement it yet...)

Some good vegetarian ones:  Pickled Ginger, Pickled Bamboo Shoots, Snow Temple
Vegetable (Cabbage heart steamed with 'milk cake'), Cooked Radish.  Still.
There are stuff-all vegetarian options in these two sources.  My way of getting
around it is to warn people coming to the feast that if they are vegetarian
then they may wish to re-consider or go off-board.  For a feast so specialized
and especially if you plan of keeping to only primary source recipe, then I
suggest that it is appropriate...  We shouldn't keep every interest group in
the SCA accommodated all of the time, including vegetarians...

One question...  What are peoples interpretations of milk cake.  I'm using a
cheese culture to sour up the milk and then using rennet.  Dropping the chunks
into cheese moulds and flipping every two hours for a few days until they start
to firm up...  But I don't think I'm right...  Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers,

Baron Drake Morgan, OL.

ps.  I'm back...  Been very busy for the fast few months (w/- new interstate
girlfriend, new car, and moving in with parents, and all...  Yeeeg...)

pps. Has anyone found any information on Ayuttayan cooking pre 1650?