[Sca-cooks] Just A Feast report (part 1/2: general report)

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Wed Apr 9 21:48:19 PDT 2003

Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net> [2003.04.09] wrote:
> > I'm hoping that this will be my fate as well, since I actually prefer
> > cooking a banquet to eating it.
>
> I don't feel that way, I'm afraid.  I enjoy cooking more as an A&S
> activity than as a service activity, if you know what I mean.

I'm split on the issue. One one side I want to do it as perfect as
possible (the A&S side), on the other I'm a bit of a foaming-at-the-
mouth evangelist, wanting to Make Period Food The One And Only Way.
Mostly I try to accomplish the latter by doing the first, and by taking
every oppourtunity I can get my grubby hands on to teach, and cook the
real thing for the masses.

> spectacular food-focussed event every year or two than spread my
> energy thin by doing mass catering for the unwashed horde who attend
> more general events.

My problem here is that I'm in the SCA for the atmosphere, and for me
being served modern food is a sure killer of that. So I want to Spread
the Word, until I can go to a feast and not have the same feeling of
wrong as day-glo Nikes with a Tudor-outfit would give most others.

In other words one can say that one one level I don't care about the
opinions or wishes of the unwashed hordes, even when I'm cooking a feast
for them. My goals are to produce a feast that is as period as I can
make it within the constraints, with plenty of food that is good to
great tasting. The few who knows what they are getting will hopefully
appreciate what they are getting, and in my experience the masses don't
really care, as long as it tastes great and is filling.

UlfR

UlfR                                             par at hunter-gatherer.org
Remember - small children can choke on peanuts. There's a handy hint.