[Sca-cooks] Peanut satay.....

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 11:06:32 PDT 2003

---- Original Message -----
From: "Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com>
To: "SCA-Cooks" <Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 8:45 AM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Peanut satay.....

> Does anybody have a good satay recipe?

Why do all the good questions for which I have answers come up while I'm
travelling and don't have access to my library?  My dear lady wife is
Indonesian, and I have quite an arsenal of satays at home...

I do have access to one quick 'n dirty peanut sauce, but beware it's a
Westernized version.  Still good, though:

1 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned style or freshly
ground)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried Thai chile or Sambal Oelek

Place peanut butter in heavy medium saucepan over med-low heat. Gradually
mix in stock. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir over heat until smooth and
thick, about 6 minutes.

This version works for nearly any sort of meat.  I use it on tri-tip and
shrimp that have marinated in teriyaki, lime, garlic, ginger, and a bit of
sugar.

As for make-ahead food, I'm always partial to lasagna if periodness isn't a
concern...

Good luck, and enjoy the trip.

-Lorenz