[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Mon Apr 21 08:56:15 PDT 2003

I used to have documentation written up for this, but I lost it when my
laptop got stolen - it is a mostly period recipe, I just can't tell you the
original until I find it again - I'm ALMOST sure it was in the Medieval
Kitchen though - unfortunately I haven't seen that book in my house for a
few months, so...

However, my redaction was:

Take 3 medium bulbs of garlic, and 1 stem of fresh ginger (about 6 inches
worth?) - peel both, and place in Cuisinart(my newest cooking toy, I LOVE
that thing...). Process until almost pureed.  Add 1/4 cup or so fresh ground
pepper (I ground mine in a molcajete, so it was very coarsely ground - which
gave the sauce an interesting texture) 2 handfuls of bread crumbs (I have
small hands, if that helps), about 3 ounces of red wine vinegar, and some
olive oil, continue to process until it makes a thick sauce - it was about
the consistency of commercial horseradish, just without the tendency to
separate.  Warning - this stuff WILL be very, very, hot.  It's kind of like
Wasabi made from ginger, lol.