[Sca-cooks] (was hot peppers) now de Nola freaks - Horseradish

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 23 09:12:05 PDT 2003

This one?

156. PARSLEY

PEREJIL

You must take the parsley and remove the roots, and strip off the leaves
very well and clean it; and grind those leaves a great deal in a mortar; and
after it is well-ground, toast a crustless piece of bread, and soak it in
white vinegar, and grind it with the parsley; and after it is well-ground,
cast a little pepper into the mortar, and mix it well with the parsley and
the bread. And then cast in honey, which should be melted, in the mortar,
stirring constantly in one direction until the honey incorporates itself
with the sauce in the mortar; and if the sauce should be very thick, thin it
with a little watered vinegar, so that it should not be very sour; and
having done that, take two smooth pebbles from the sea or river, and cast
them in the fire; and when they shall be quite ruddy and red, cast them with
some tongs in the mortar in such a manner that they are quenched there; and
when all this is done, taste it for flavor. And make it in such a manner
that it tastes a little of pepper, and a little sweet-sour, and of parsley;
and if any of these things is lacking, temper [the dish] with it.

157. Sauce of Horseradish and of Clary Sage

SALSA DE RABANO VEXISCO Y DE GALLOCRESTA

In the same manner as the parsley, you can also make sauce from the root of
the horseradish. And the same from the leaves of clary sage.

> Huh?  Which sauce was that?  The only horseradish sauce I remember from de
> Nola is the variation on parsley sauce: vinegar, bread, water, honey, and
> grated horseradish.  Sweet, sour, and pungent, and oh so good with roast
> beef.
>
> Vicente (the other de Nola freak on the list)

Do you have a redaction for it, I would love to see it.

Glad Tidngs,
Serena da Riva
freaky on just about everything