[Sca-cooks] Adventures in redaction...LONG

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Apr 28 10:45:18 PDT 2003

Also sprach Nancy Kiel:
>Just make sure you have a block of wood or whatever with a bowl-shaped
>depression cut into it.  I had a bowl and chopper set and the bowl rocked
>back and forth, which made it very tedious to use.  I have chopped things on
>a flat surface and as long as the blade is REALLY sharp it will cut through
>the stuff, not push it about.

An old trick used by chefs to anchor a bowl in place is to twist a
kitchen towel, preferably just slightly dampened, into a rope shape,
then make a sort of hoop on the counter/board to set the bottom of
the bowl in. It's commonly used to hold mixing bowls for whipping
eggs or cream; I assume it would work for a wooden bowl and a
mezzaluna or ulu.

Basically, I don't have room in my kitchen (this is the newish,
bigger kitchen, not the old submarine galley I used to have, but it
still holds true) for any specialized tool that serves only one
purpose...

Adamantius