[Sca-cooks] Adventures in redaction...LONG

Greg Tremblay gmt7 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 28 13:32:09 PDT 2003

You may refer to the earlier discussion on why the large volume of water
involved in boiling would rob the flavor of the onion were it chopped.
Thus, simmering in a smaller volume of water would produce a more
concentrated flavor.  I think it would be nearly impossible to "simmer"
onions in their own juices, as they produce nowhere near enough liquid
to bring to a near boil, nor would I wish the results of heating enough
onion juice to do so on my worst enemy.  Ouch.  You may also notice I
offer the idea of wine or other liquid as an option, not a
from-the-recipe idea.

I disagree that boiling whole onions and then chopping would produce a
vastly different texture and flavor than simmering them in a smaller
amount of liquid.  Were one to reduce the liquid, then that would indeed
produce a vastly different taste and texture, but again I offer that
only as an option.  The goal here is to gain cooked onions in which a
gentling and sweetening of flavor have occurred to allow their
integration into a tart without it becoming either a sulfur compound
slug-fest or a burnt attempt at an onion log.  Simmering and boiling are
applications of the same method to accomplish this.  Were I to suggest
sautéing, I can grant that this would produce a differing flavor indeed,
but modest amounts of water to simmer in should not.

-Gavin