[Sca-cooks] Meat: Cooked vs. Raw, & Waste

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 13:37:57 PDT 2003

I'm working out the details of the Greco-Roman feast i'm doing Sept 6
- calculating quantities of ingredients, making shopping lists, etc.

I anticipate 80 diners, although i think i could feed 90 - and i
estimate about 10 per cent vegetarians...

I found
fresh tuna - $6.99/lb
lamb - $1.99/lb
chicken - usually around $2/lb
ham - $5.09/lb

Since the tuna is so expensive, it'll be an appetizer - i'm getting
10 lb., cutting it in 2 oz chunks, searing it and serving it with
date sauce. I imagine there won't be a huge loss in weight when
cooked - or am i wrong?

Chicken - right now i'm thinking about 30 lb. It'll be simmered and
sauced. How do i estimate waste (bone and skin) - i'm guessing 5 lb.

Lamb will be ground for sausages - it's so cheap, i'll be getting
more than i originally planned, right now i'm estimating 15 lb.

Finally, ham - i want 10 chunks (one for each tables), which will be
simmered with herbs and spices and figs, then drained, slits cut it
it and have figs and honey packed into the slits, then wrapped in
pastry and baked. This is tricky, since big hams come on a bone. I
was told there is about 5-6 lb bone in a 20-25 lb ham. Is there some
kind of ham that isn't rubbery (like canned hams often are) and might
be cheaper?

So based on my estimates, i'll have about 13 oz meat per person
uncooked. This seems like a lot to me, but i know SCA feasts tend to
be meat-heavy. Since the tuna and the ham are expensive, i'd like a
better estimate of waste (for the chicken) and of the difference in
cooked vs. raw weight.

Anyone?

Anahita