[Sca-cooks] sources, redactions and other fine things

aeduin aeduin at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 21:10:18 PDT 2003

Summarizing my take on the whole thread.

I generally prefer original recipes (if they are in English) or a straight
translation into English otherwise.  Looking at other people's redactions
is interesting, sometimes very amusing, and helped me get together with my
wife.  Even if the redaction is from someone who's work I trust, I'd rather
work it out on my own, and, even though I trust their work, their style my
be quite different from my own.

I go both ways on the putting redactions in documentation for
competitions.  If it is a formally judged competition, ie Laurel's Prize,
Pentathlon etc. then yes it needs to be there.  For informal competitions
like a People's Prize or an A&S display then it's not necessary.  I would
probably put my redaction in anyway just because.

In regards to how much detail I put in, it would be enough that a cook of
moderate competence could follow it and get a similar result.  I would not
put every last little step and process I went through to develop my
redaction into the final piece.  However, I may put that information in the
supporting documentation.  I would also use common cooking terms in the
redaction and probably not explain each one.  As my wife explained, if she
says that she used a "Holbien" stitch in her embroidery it would not be a
documentation error if the Judge did not know that it is a double running
stitch (I dunno, I use fiber to truss roasts and poultry).

AEduin