[Sca-cooks] Funges as a soup?

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 1 20:13:20 PDT 2003

KarenO wrote:

>    Your three main ingredients listed above could be a side dish, or a
>oup  -- just depends on your interpretation of how much  "gode broth" you
>want to use to seeth  your mushrooms & leeks.

I served it my first time as a side dish, strained from most of the
broth. I recall 'Lainie commenting that it was a different
interpretation that she had not done/seen before, serving it with much
more broth.

>    So has anyone else been enjoying the "Restaurant?" It is the  ONE
>"reality show" I actually sat down to watch.  Beyond the forced 8 weeks to
>open timeline, how real is it?  Do restaurant managers  REALLY train wait
>staff? Or is that a New York thing?

Loving it. I think it's fairly real. There's probably a lot that isn't
caught on tape, and there may be some agreement with the producers on
veto power for something that might impact the reputation of the
restaurant (what you don't know, won't hurt you, just business)

Normally, restaurant managers don't train new waiters, but in this case,
all the waiters are new, so there is no experience trainer to do it.
Basically, only  the owners and managers know how they want it done.
And it's also one of the inherent problems with a new business (or one
with high turnover in the staff): there's no veteran 'corps' to maintain
the standards and to be the consistancy that new people refer to or
compare against. (put this way: if there's 19 standing in line and one
out of line, it's obvious. If there's 20 people just mixed up, they
can't tell if they're supposed to be in a line, a circle, a hollow
square, a solid square, etc...). Add in the fact that procedures are
just getting tested in that space, with that menu. Some may not work.

I was watching the last day preperations and the soft opening, thinking
"keeper, history, problem, keeper, keeper, change job, history" as I
watched the staff behave and interact with customers and coworkers. That
the one hostess was allowed to come in and get her hair done before
letting her go was no surprise, since the management probably spent most
of the morning (while the staff was getting prepped) discussing the
problems of the night before, and the staff.

I thought the suit to cease and desist the use of the name was classic
competive tactics: issued on the day they open, after they've committed
to using it and to opening, rather than beforehand when they might have
time to counter the suit or change the name and open on time.

The bleeped kitchen scenes, oh, yes!  Forget extreme sports for
adreneline rushes. Slam rush in a restaurant....and _then_ something
goes _wrong_!

--

Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at mind.net
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)