[Sca-cooks] Happy Trails!!

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 05:49:01 PDT 2003

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>I've actually had the misfortune of running into "crispy red strips,"
>but I survived....
>They're little strips of red tortilla (tomato based?).  At least the
>ones I saw were.  Just meant as a garnish, although I dunno why they're
>supposed to be so special....

OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! Maybe that makes sense in a peculiar sort of way.
Maybe these are in lieu of the croutons that traditionally are part
of a Caesar salad. I guess it's possible somebody determined that
these provided some textural advantage [arguable] over the more
standard little square crouton. My own exposure to them has involved
seeing them on TV commercials, but they seem to be part of a Caesar
Salad burrito-type entity, possibly with chicken. Interesting, since
CS, in spite of ingredients pointing more towards France than
anywhere else, seems to have originated in Tijuana, so perhaps in a
weird sort of way, there's some diseased logic to it all.

>Oh, wait, that's another restaurant.....
>*sigh*

Oh, yeah. Fast food chains never steal ideas from other restaurants... ;-)

>I think my brain's gone off to the Bermuda Triangle with someone named
>Pat.....

So what gender _is_ Pat, anyway??? (The Pat in question was at one
time the subject of a recurring SNL sketch, and, I think, an
ill-conceived and ill-fated feature film, all revolving on the
deliberate, vague androgeny of the character. Who, IIRC, was played
by Rachel Dratch. A typical line would be, "I'm pretty sure I slept
with Pat. Twice, in fact. But I still don't know what sex Pat is..."

>Yes indeedee, it IS Monday....
>--maire, slinking away to drink tea.....
>p.s. Who's Judge Crater?

Judge Crater used to be the most famous and mysterious missing-person
case in American history, before flashes-in-the-pan like Amelia
Earhart and Jimmy Hoffa stole all the front page space. It seems the
Judge got up one morning in the 1880's (I think) to answer a knock at
the door, and was never seen again. Presumably somebody grabbed him,
and didn't even bother to close the front door.

But to offset that tragedy, at least now I know what Red Strips are.

Adamantius