[Sca-cooks] Re: Blood donors

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Aug 13 16:20:10 PDT 2003

as i repeatedly tell people.....
if you cannot donate blood (and there are many good reasons, some temporary,
some permenet , that might keep you from doing so) you can still help.

offer a donor a ride, many people cannot deal with bus rides and heat, etc
after donating.. and getting there can be almost as bad, if you have a car
you can be a big help to get a donor actually IN the center.

offer company.  some of us <and i could be talking about me> are scared of
needles, doctors or what have you... and hand holding (even just figurative)
can give us something other than a <shudder> needle to think about .

offering space in your office (when permitted) for blood donor information,
pheresis pamphlets, and etc.

spotting a co worker  on the phones or whatever, to enable them to take the
time (two hours or more) to donate platelets by pheresis.

just telling the donors how much you appreciate what they do makes a BIG
difference.  it can be tough to keep up your enthusiasm when the day is hot,
and the phlebotomist (person with the pointy thing) isnt having a good
target day....
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...